Monday, August 1, 2011

Finding Friendship in Portugal...The Man (that is), Loss of Kick Ass Chick Bands, & Happy Anniversary to MTV

VIDEO of the day is...."Sleep Forever" by Portugal. The Man


Upon reading a review of Portugal. The Man's album "In the Mountain, In the Cloud", I came across a critic comparing them to The Beatles with their song "Sleep Forever".  I saw that they had released their official video for this song and came upon this video montage. It is artistically beautiful and disturbing. If you are sensitive to weirdness, don't watch it. But I do think it is brilliant. As well as this album.  I have not owned an album like this in a long time, where I become eager to listen to it again and again and again.  I never get tired of it.  I also love that almost every song on this album is a parenthetical expression.  No joke, if you look at the titles of the songs, it is followed with a parenthetical side.  It is almost as if I created these titles for them (as my thought process tends to read something like a bunch of deep expressive feelings followed by a disclaimer or side note).   It is a permanent fixture in my player and now I know every song, every lyric, every beat, and sound.  I was afraid I was going to get really tired of it there for a minute but now I realize it's not really possible as it has been a couple of weeks of nonstop listening. I have been out of touch with other music which is reason 1 of why I have not been writing, as well as being good to myself and figuring out how to simplify my schedule which is reason 2 of why I have not been writing, and because I have been spending time cultivating new friendships - ones that I know will carry me far into my life, which is reason 3 of why I have not been writing.

With that, I apologize for the disappointment from others expressing that this is the only way they know what is going on with me and what is more flattering, I have had people say they have no idea what to listen to these days without my suggestions. Now, I don't mean to toot my own horn but I think it's pretty awesome that my friends look to me for new music ideas. I've always thought they were pretty good but that's me. Now I see my friends as saints but for them to see me even in a similar light, is awesome and exciting.

I have so much to say, I have no idea where to start. It has been almost a week since my last entry and that's crazy. But my schedule has become even more intense in other ways (the good ways so it's okay but still insane).  So here it goes:

I would like to introduce the band I talk so highly of, whose album I praise time and time again but have never introduced you to. Maybe it's because I figure everyone does know them, especially MY friends. Portugal. The Man has finally received the credit they have so rightly deserved for quite some time.  People have been listening to them a lot longer than I have. I was just recently introduced to them (June 2010) but I have a girlfriend who has owned everything they have ever done.  She loved them so much and so I would hear their music on in the background of her apartment as we did DIY projects giggling like 16-year-olds.  Annie, I miss your apartment and those nights of drunken craft making.  Then I dated someone last year who had lived with them, would consider them exceptional friends, introduced me to them and then took me to one of their concerts. It was amazing, really.  I could say that I fell in love with them just because my significant other at the time was quietly whispering/singing every word they would sing.  It was a beautiful feeling. I remember thinking, "I think I'll like them".  But it wasn't until this album was exposed that I fell out of like and deeply in love.


Described as an American psychadelic rock band from Portland, Oregon, Portugal. The Man consists of Alaskan natives and Portland metro area natives (go figure as I swear that the only people who live here in this city are either from Alaska or Portland. I'm not kidding).  With the exception of Jason Sechrist and Ryan Neighbors who are both from the area, they were born and raised in Wasilla, Alaska and all have eventually ended up here in the City of Roses.  Starting out on indie labels for their first few albums, they have just recently been signed onto Atlantic Records, which is a major feat and impressive for a few kids making it in Oregon.

If you've heard Anatomy of a Ghost and loved the unique, distinct, incredible vocal range sung with the group, you were sure to follow John Gourley's sound as he made his way to forming Portugal. The Man.  Anatomy of a Ghost was started by Gourley in 2002 with him stating he had no singing experience at that time whatsoever.  Sadly, the band broke up and Gourley decided to start a side project with Zachary Carothers on bass to form what we now know as Portugal.  They were the original MGMT using drum machines and synth-loops to create a full band sound effect with just the two of them.  It worked.  Before long, they caught the eye of Wesley Hubbard, Nick Klein, and Harvey Tumbleson.  From there, they bid a long-awaited farewell to their native Alaska and set sights on the City of Bridges, Portland, Oregon.

Once in Portland, Klein and Tumbleson left the band and Sechrist hopped aboard.  Having just released their sixth studio album (and the first one since signing with Atlantic Records), it has been a whirlwind climb to stardom.  They are recognized worldwide now for their talents and loyalty to the 70's funk/rock era.  With Gourley's John Lennon-esque melodic tone and a Robert Plant-ish falsetto wail, it is no wonder that rock icons such as John Hill (who also produced M.I.A. and Santigold) picked Portugal to work with but also Grammy winner Andy Wallace for mixing (you might know him as being a mixer for some of the greatest names in rock and roll history including Nirvana, System of a Down, Jeff Buckley, Rush, and Paul McCartney).



They began headlining with some of the greatest musicians for their U.S. tour including Rocky Votolato (one of my favorites), The Photo Atlas, Play Radio Play, Tera Melos, and The Only Children to name a few.  No small potatoes.  Before Atlantic even, they were brainstorming production ideas with the likes of Pixies and Radiohead record producer, Paul Q. Kolderie.  Guess the fans had to have seen this coming.  As the resume became more extensive, so did their music repertoire.  Having booked shows all over the world, Portugal. The Man broke out of the indie label mold and onto the main stage with interviews on MTV and scheduled records with studios from El Paso to England.


Speaking of MTV, today is MTV's 30th anniversary! Can you believe it? It gave birth to a new generation of TV and music junkies in 1981 and is responsible for shaping much of my youth. From Beastie Boys' "Sabotage" video to R.E.M. singing "Everybody Hurts" and "Losing My Religion" I saw them all for years.  I remember them like I saw them yesterday. I remember the game show, Remote Control and Lip Service. These shows would come and go and the music just stayed. It was full of great videos and Adam Curry delivering breaking news. I will never forget the announcement of Kurt Cobain's tragic suicide or when Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch broke up.  They are years to remember.  In third grade, I remember Madonna's "Justify My Love" video being labeled not suitable for prime time television hours, so it was moved to after midnight. I would set an alarm and sneak out with the HUGE pair of headphones that my dad kept in his office, and walk out to plug them in and touch the screen, eyes wide, mouth agape.  This is how I learned about sex.  Happy Birthday MTV. Your programming is awful now but I can't help but be thankful for still delivering some music knowledge to the younger generations.

IN OTHER NEWS:  Katherine Whalen of The Squirrel Nut Zippers is releasing her debut album in August called "Madly Love" where she will be featuring her new band, Katherine Whalen and Her Fascinators.  New material with her striking voice has me all excited. I will most certainly be purchasing this album and looking forward to it.

Wild Flag is releasing a hot new album from Riot Grrrl Records.  For those of who do not know Wild Flag, they are a hot psychadelic punk rock chick band comprised of pop-punk royalty Janet Weiss and Carrie Brownstein (both formerly of Sleater-Kinney), Mary Timony (from Helium), and Rebecca Cole (from The Minders).  I'm seriously surprised Carrie Brownstein is even able to record anything since her project, Portlandia, has been accepted to extend for another season.  But I'm stoked to hear it.  Man I miss really really good chick bands.

Speaking of chick bands, it was brought to my attention that Lollapalooza this year is injected with some serious testosterone.  This year has an all-male headliner list consisting of Eminem, Muse, Coldplay, and the Foo Fighters.  There are 136 acts total playing the concert series this August, and only 41 have even one woman in the band.   We have incredible female performers right now, too, with Zee Avi, Grace Jones, Asa, St. Vincent, Dum Dum Girls, Ladytron, Zola Jesus, and Bjork, all releasing albums and sprinkling the male dominated rock world with a little estrogen.  I will be checking out some of these female artist albums coming up and will let you know what I think.

For now, In the Mountain, In the Cloud has been a dream.  I am so stoked to have it.  It will remind me of this time where I have cultivated some serious relationships with other women in my life.  It will remind me to be good to myself.  It will remind me of the biggest transition in my journey thus far and really attacking the plans that I've always wanted to make.  I am finding friendship in this album.  I am finding myself. 

1 comment:

  1. I miss our craft nights too! I'm excited for our camping excursion at the hot springs in a couple weeks :)

    ReplyDelete