Saturday, July 2, 2011

Edgefield Anniversary, Lazy Summer Days, Blues, and Picking Yourself Up.

Song of the day is...."Polar Opposites" by Modest Mouse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCf4YzlSPy0

Today is Edgefield's 100th Anniversary and to kick off the summer (officially now for us Portlanders), Modest Mouse will be performing. You won't want to miss it. If you can still get tickets, please do yourself a favor and check it out. I have seen them roughly five or six times in concert and never disappointing. Never. What an amazing band. Truly. And Edgefield is located in beautiful Troutdale in a pristine location, best known for their country-side environment, great beer, and a plethora of incredible bands coming to play all summer long.

Summer is officially here in Oregon and with that, I have built a pretty eclectic mix in my life for the season. I tend to pick songs that feel like me or feel appropriate for the time/place/weather, etc. So I would have to say my two favorite artists for the summer are...Foster The People and Portugal. The Man. I am very much impressed by the way these two bands have come out this year in a whole new way and have been kicking off alternative top 40 lists across the nation and have been picked to represent a slew of amazing artists at many concert festivals including the upcoming INCREDIBLE festival, Lollapalooza in Chicago this summer. What a lineup. Coldplay will be headlining while other newer bands like Naked And Famous will get a huge break from the indie community as well as bringing much deserved attention to the Portland-based group Portugal. The Man, whom I have personally nominated as Best Album of The Year. 

This week was a big one in terms of being burned out for me. Just having finished up a wedding, many weekends of social commitments, and a week of falling off the wagon a couple of times while trying to get my ass to class was difficult. So today I will be listening to a lot of Phoenix, my #1 band for turning myself around and allowing space for reflection. I'm such a hippie. I need to just get off the computer right now and take my little muffinhead to Sarah Jane's pool to eat popsicles and lounge like lizards. I'll sneak in some Starfucker and Vampire Weekend to kick off a great week off ahead.

DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THE WATERFRONT BLUES FESTIVAL. Sounds like a lot of fun. Beer gardens, views of the water, people everywhere, 80 degrees and sunny with amazing local and nationally recognized blues artists. Have fun and be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment