Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sunshine, Empire of the Sun, and Son Volt

Sun, sun, sun...what can I say but Portland is finally happy! Scarlett has been OBSESSED with Empire of the Sun's song "Walking on a Dream" and can't stop listening to it. Yesterday she watched the video 13 times before we left the house! So...

Song of the Day is...."Walking On A Dream" by Empire of the Sun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eimgRedLkkU

As you all know, the country fair is coming up. Scarlett will be leaving tomorrow to hang out with the hippies and get dirty with her dad. I decided that in terms of my contribution to the Country Fair, I would choose my song of the day as...."Windfall" by Son Volt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYoidn4QRMI

In other news, Scarlett has realized that her favorite artist, Sia, will be in town in August so I will be purchasing tickets to see her August 16th. Scarlett is very excited. She was screaming with excitement and then got quiet and asked, "Mama, will it be past my bedtime?" Oh this will be fun. It will be at the Wonder Ballroom. Looks like three amazing female artists will be lighting up the summer night and we are very much looking forward to it.

With much needed sunshine, also comes YARD SALES and FRESH PRODUCE PICKING! While we were out two days ago at Sauvie Island, we stopped by a yard sale that looked enormous and amazing. However, it was about 3 acres of crap. Just sheer useless crap. So as I'm sifting through the nonsense, I see that they are selling CD's. I giggled inside thinking I would find some real duds. What did I find? At least ten diamonds in the rough including The Breeders "Last Splash" which is an album that has changed my life and I listen to monthly. I found Dinosaur Jr., Toad the Wet Sprocket, Belly, Counting Crows "August and Everything After", and the biggest find for me was Chet Baker's "My Funny Valentine" which is a CD rare in print and is one of my top ten albums of all time. I couldn't believe it. I pulled them all out and gave them back to the owner and told her to just hang onto them. I walked away with a rare "Flaming Lips" EP that I have NEVER heard of and Annie Lennox's "Medusa". What a fantastic surprise.

We topped the day off with sundaes at Ruby Jewel, the best ice cream shop in Portland in my opinion. Located on Mississippi across Amnesia Brewery, you will smell the most amazing smell of fresh waffle cones being made. What a great ending.

Enjoy the sun!!! Scarlett and I are going to be very lazy and lay around in the sun doing absolutely nothing today. What an intense, fun-filled weekend we had! Have a great "short" week everyone! And keep rocking awesome tunes! It makes everything better. I mean everything.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blake and I went on an excursion up the McKenzie river over the weekend, and this was our official road song, which I thought you might like - Yeayayer Tightrope: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GziH8s7ksMo

    (sorry for the multiple posts - I'm trying to figure out how this works... Apparently it keeps track of comments, even if you delete them!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I know, right Annie? Weird that it keeps track of all comments. Love the song! Thank you so much for the exposure! This is why I've got this up and running. Feel free to post as often as you want! Love this!

    ReplyDelete