Saturday, July 9, 2011

Pool Parties, Daft Punk, and Chet.

Song of the day is...."Face to Face" by Daft Punk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKJfJMMsqX4

It's a beautiful day here in Portland and I am stoked to be alive. Living a sober fun-filled existence is possible, more so than ever before. I feel like Daft Punk has to be an ultimate summer band for me. It makes me feel "old school" and free. So today there will be much Daft Punk involved.  What is up with electronica frenchmen? I feel like Air is the melancholic side of me and Daft Punk is the party side of me. They've been around forever (since way back in '87) and continue to make exceptional tunes. They're like the U2 of electronic pop. I dig it. As they say, their influences are The Beach Boys and The Rolling Stones. Wha? Guess that's who bred to make a Daft Punk baby. Again, I dig.

Pool parties are the best, aren't they? When was the last time you went to one? What sucks is that we no longer live with our parents where we can house hop to friends' places and eat their parents' food and lay by their pool without jobs. Ah the good ol' days. Fortunately for me, I have a friend in her 30's who has a pool. Lucky! So here we are adults, still playing like kids, at our own pools. Love it. So today, I'm hoping to blast some Vampire Weekend, Two Door Cinema Club, Spoon, and of course the beloved makes-me-feel-young-love-to-party-i-don't-care-about-anything band, MGMT.

Last night on my commute, I had listened to everything under the sun. In fact, when I am in the car for four hours and I go a little loony, I usually just turn on a radio station, any radio station, and play Name That Tune within the first 30 beats or so. Lame I know but it passes the time. So yesterday I think I had heard everything from Ms. Insecurity, low self-esteem, I hate myself Amy Winehouse to I Love Life but more importantly I love smoking gonj the laid back I just want to do nothing and be happy  Bob Marley. So I couldn't figure out my mood, and moody I have been. I have been emotional and pathetically small. Not in a serious sense, just a pathetic one. I've been feeling like my inner voice is just a whiny bastard these days. What I tapped into and finally found pure happiness in was Chet. Chet Baker is one of my most ultimate favorite artists of all time and I know I have made the reference to the album "My Funny Valentine" as being like the best album EVER but I actually mean it. I listened to it twice on the way back up, pretending that it was ME on stage playing the trumpet and over to the piano and over to the brush drums, like I was a one-man band. It was the most enjoyable thing to listen to, especially as dipping down into the valley and over the hills to home, where I see the snowy mountain in the background with an orange glow over the buildings sparkling atop the river reaffirming an amazing decision to move here. With my little one asleep in the back, I feel so much at peace with Chet on the radio and the sun on my cheek.


With that sappy blog, I bid you all a wonderful Saturday full of surprises and happiness and inner peace. Here's to Chet and all of the other men in my life who give me the tingles.

No comments:

Post a Comment