Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Flea's Praise and Missing Axl.

Song of the day is....."Level" by The Raconteurs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sblEd3VOQK0

I'm choosing this distorted pedal slow dazed out rhythm for this weather. I feel like I'm stuck in a bowl of honey or something. This weather is really unmotivating and I have so many things to do. I'm supposed to be in school right now but my alarm never went off so I'm taking the opportunity to catch up on things that I need to attend to. Word Feud on my phone and music blogs are definitely at the top of the list. Without further ado, here is a long-winded blog by me.

Highlight of my day yesterday: Listening to 94.7 on the way back from dropping Scarlett off in Albany and suddenly I hear the voices of my beloved Chili Peppers when all of a sudden, Flea interjects and says "You're listening to 94.7 Portland's alternative station because we definitely know that there is an alternative underbelly in that city" and it was great. I do feel happy inside knowing that people perceive Portland to be this alternative fun city that never really died after the grunge days ended in mainstream media. That was my time. And at times, it does feel like 1994 is still alive and well. Ah, the 90's...

Speaking of alternative, while I was in the car (yes, it is where I do most of my thinking for better or for worse), I was thinking about quintessential alternative sounds. Is it Pixies? STP? Guns and Roses? "Patience" came on just as I was contemplating this. Normally I would say something like "Where Is My Mind" might be one of the most alternative songs out there but then I listened very carefully to Axl's voice. Who has sung like that since? I suddenly found myself really missing that sound. What an amazing voice he had. And we celebrate the same birthday so maybe I just feel connected planetarily or some odd whatever.

So I went to the beach on Sunday which was RAD. It was a really great trip and I feel blessed to live only an hour and a half from one of the greatest beaches, Cannon Beach. One of my favorites, Michelle, and myself went with our mousekins and took along some raw food and some tunes. We ended up talking most of the time and catching up as we never get to being as busy as we are.  Didn't get to hear as many tunes as I always hope for (I'm not kidding, it's something I feel sad about) but I did get a glimpse of Naked and Famous "Young Blood" while veering onto highway 6. Just a little break from the chit-chat and to a song that I feel really is a signature for this 2011 summer season.  But what a great trip, really.


So in the car I love to play games (as you all know) and I was listening to the radio when I suddenly thought to myself "whatever song comes on next defines me today".  And the song was..."Cornflake Girl" by Tori Amos. Now when was the last time we heard Tori? Um forever ago on my end. I love love love her. I have every album she has ever made and I have not heard what she is up to at all these days. Where are you miss Amos? Anyway, the song couldn't have been more perfect for me these days. It was wonderful to hear and I love how I knew every word and could just scream it loud. What a nice surprise.

NEWS FLASH:  Robert Plant is coming out with a new DVD with rare performances on it that comes out August 23rd. Very very excited to see what it's all about. So check it out!

Other things to check out:  My friend Jess Speer (the amazing Chicagoan librarian that she is) has recommended the band "Radical Dads" to me as she just finished up with them on their tour and said that I might like them. And like them I did. They are an indie rock band from Brooklyn and if you have a moment, just sample some of their music. What I love is that I get tickled over hearing some non-famous indie rocker band starting up that still sounds unique and amazing. People are still making great music! Thank god!!! So here is the link:  http://radicaldads.bandcamp.com/

In other news (and still speaking of Jess):  Jess has started a blog as well on library stuff (something i LOVE) and just interviewed someone on archiving mixed tapes! For real? That's someone's job? Why don't I have that job and where the hell do I start? So exciting to hear someone talk passionately about music for one, but mixed tapes? Are you kidding me? Who doesn't love mixed tapes? I wish I had all of my old mixed tapes. I would be in heaven. So this person feels very passionate about the subject and has decided to make it a mission to restore and archive these amazing pieces of historical gold. The interview was a fun read and got me excited to keep going with this music stuff.  If you would like to read it yourself, please do and check it out at:  http://antelopist.info/    I'm not the only geek out there. Yessss! Here is me geeking out Sunday at the coast btw: 


Yes Elliott Smith is with me always.

Have a wonderful Tuesday! I'm now going to run around like a chicken with my head cut off for the next 16 hours or so and stop making sense. Ooooh...Talking Heads it is today.  Musical perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment