Thursday, July 7, 2011

Nostalgia and The Stars.

Song of the Day is...."Elevator Love Letter" by indie rock group, Stars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU7KGcrD_gc

Ah today is a thinking day. Waking up to work with coffee in hand, watching the sun come up was exhausting in this strange "college up all night paper writing sort of way" and I started to contemplate my life over the last 10 years. After work, I immediately set to work on organizing some older albums and digging for buried treasure through heaps of boxes in the garage of my confined abode.

I found some winners. And I found some big-time losers (was that really the "Hope Floats" soundtrack in there and oh god really, "Titanic"?) but all in all I previewed some Doves, Betty Serveert, Stars, Flaming Lips, Fish, and my entire collection of Billie Holiday CD's. My oh my it's been a morning.

I think with the weather switching off just to give me a little break (I'm not a huge fan of heat), I have had more time to think and less to just feel or go. I have changed more this two-thousand eleventh year of our lord than ever before, especially in the last two months. What a transformation. I think it is normal to want to unlock the past and figure out what is happening for the future (wow, that was cheesy). See how in my head I am today? Ick.

For those of you who were HUGE Cure fans like myself in high school and college, I find that The Bravery makes me feel like they used to make me feel. It's pretty great because whenever they come on on my playlist, I think for a second I'm listening to Robert Smith but then the lyrics and the instruments are used in such a modern way, that I feel I really relate more to it. If you all have not heard of them, please check them out. They are an NYC-based post-punk revival/New Wave band, hence why I get that Robert Smith feel. They are incredible and worth your while. As my friend says to me, "Of course everyone has heard of The Bravery. They were on "Yes Man" and the trailer for "No Strings Attached". I had no idea. So if that is where you have heard of them, great. Keep listening.

Enjoy your gray day or not (depending on where you are) and take this day to reflect. It's an awesome feeling to see how far you have come. Music has been here with me every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment