Monday, July 18, 2011

The Year of Black Crows and The Season of the Phoenix.

Song of the Day is...."Love Like a Sunset II" by Phoenix.


What else to say about this song.  Nothing.  It's just beautiful.  In my humble opinion, it is what love feels like.  The title of this blog kind of says it all.  I sit here tapping my foot, trying to get the creative juices flowing but find that I am very tired on yet another gray day here in Portland and I feel that the creativity comes from this quiet introspection conjured up by my background music.  It most certainly has been my season of Phoenix.  When I want to play, I think to put them on. When I want to think, I put them on and heck, lately when I've been doing laundry and dishes, I think they would add to my experience of accomplished tasks.  I think this was a nice video to share for a Monday.  Whether you live in a sunny place and you read this or whether you are in Jultober (as Cassie so perfectly describes this), this band just seems to fit for me, and hopefully you feel the same way too.

The first time I heard Phoenix (I will not lie about this) was when I saw Lost In Translation.  If you don't remember, let me refresh your memory:

Very strange video indeed.

So since seeing the movie, I have been curious about this band.  If Sofia Coppola loves them, why shouldn't I? And yes, she does personally love them because I found this.  Okay okay, so she was dating Thomas Mars in this photo and maybe wanted to give him some spotlight in her film, but it worked!


 Phoenix is a French band (labeled as a French dance rock band) from Versailles.  Lead singer Thomas Mars (pictured above) has an incredible vocal range and gives the band their signature sound.  Some might protest that their songs sound very similar to one another but when you have a distinct front man for your band, it's going to be perceived that way by some.  However, this band is unlike any other in that I have found all of their acoustic material to be incredible, their live performances to blow me away, their videos to be visually stimulating and hypercreative, as well as creating remixes for many of their hits while never dismissing the essence of each lyric or each feeling the song gives.  To be frank, they're just FUN.  And very European.  If you don't believe me, just watch their videos.

The Parisian garage band started in 1995 with their fourth member joining them (and get this) by an incredible guitarist named Laurent Brancowitz, who is the older brother of Chris Mazzalai and was in a band with two other guys that later titled their band Daft Punk.  Zing.  So he leaves that little threesome band and joins up with these other three rockers to form Phoenix.  Gotta give these guys mad credit for not only starting up their own little French rock group in Mars' garage (a real garage band for sure), but that they even started their own label, giving it the title Ghettoblaster.  You have to hand it to them for being nobodies but releasing a single (a single mind you when they are not even famous or even kind of famous at this point) on their very own label.  BUT they managed to press 500 copies to the public and were quickly recognized by Paris-based Source Records.  So if that's not awesome enough, one of my other favorite French bands, Air fell in love with them and had them appear with them on stage several times as their backup band. We all know "Kelly Watch the Stars" yes? My personal favorite of Air's singles (I am convinced it was written for me) but they did all of the backup music for that song. I had no idea about any of this. I think that's pretty cool. That and that they are "best friend bands" with Daft Punk.  I always said I would be in Paris for my 30th birthday. Let's hope that happens and I can become their American in Paris stalker.  (just kidding. kind of.)

So there is a quick little introduction to my new found "friends" and hope you can appreciate them.  The song of the day was actually not much of a love song for me when I discovered it but was more of a subjective song for me as I was reflecting on the symbology of black crows in my life and stumbled upon it and right then and there dedicated it to the dead crow my friend Amanda and I found on the way to a movie theatre on our walk.  We walked right by it and stopped for me to inspect.  They are so massive and beautiful and majestic and I have encountered so many of them recently.  What started as a dying black crow refusing to leave my car and begging me to pick it up and put it out of its misery that fateful morning some fortnight ago but has turned into a consistent icon in my life at the moment.  They do represent transition and spiritual growth.  I like it. Seeing one atop a hearse last week, and then the dead one last Thursday, it's been a lot.  I wanted to bury that bird but instead we left it there and I told myself it was okay.  That night, back at home, I listened to none other than "Blackbird" a few times.


 It hit me. This song is all about what black crows represent.  It was kind of a musical and personal epiphany.

Not sure what it all means, and I may never know, but I am okay with that. For now.  Because now, I have music and all of the interpretations I choose.  And I have Thomas Mars keeping my ears company in the meantime.

IN OTHER NEWS:  The Killers' drummer, Ronnie Vanucci releases his self-titled debut album today! Hmm...I have no idea what's in store with that one.  Red Hot Chili Peppers release the first single from their 10th studio album 'I'm With You' today, with 'The Adventures Of Raindance Maggie' coming out. Oddly enough, even the GooGoo Dolls came out with a new album today. They're still alive??!?!

So there are some good things to check out and tons to look forward to.   My biggest highlight:  Portugal. The Man releases their album "In The Mountain In The Cloud" tomorrow!!!!! Finally!!!! Best Album of the Year for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JyZZIQC3v4



 Have a fantastic week!




1 comment:

  1. ok. I am convinced that you should be a music critic, reviewer, or SOME KIND OF MUSIC JOURNALIST! I have been thinking about that for days. I have known you for...how many years?... and I just now get to read this talent. Wow. I am grateful to know you, you Constructive Lady you.

    ReplyDelete